When disaster hits your home or business, it is devastating physically, emotionally and financially. Fires and flooding are among the most common causes of damage. When a fire occurs the contents of a home or business are burned in many places. Not only are things such as clothes, furniture, and various keepsakes destroyed by fire and smoke damage, but soot residue can also settle into walls , floors, and carpets. The smell is complex, and is not easily removed. The question on everyone’s mind is whether or not the damage should be considered something that has been destroyed or if it can be destroyed. The National Institute of Fire Restoration has guidelines that can help determine exactly how damage is perceived and what can be done about it.
How to Handle Smoke Damage
When there is a fire in your home or business that was severe enough to call the fire department, a certain amount of time will pass before the structure is declared safe enough to enter and begin retrieving belongings. The sight can be shocking, but it is important not to panic. There are things that need to be done, and others that should not be done. The “Do List” includes
- Contact In-Depth Restoration for a Professional Assessment
- Open windows
- Prop Open All Doors
- Empty refrigerator and freezer if there has been a loss of power
- Take an inventory of the contents of the home and business and its basic condition
- Relocate pets to clean environments
Items on the “Do Not Attempt List” include
- Washing walls, ceilings, or similar surfaces
- Use any upholstered furniture
- Use exposed food or canned goods
- Use any electric appliances including televisions, and stereos until they have been evaluated and deemed safe
- Take clothes to the dry cleaner. Smoke infused clothes need to be cleaned differently, and if this is done incorrectly, the smell will take a tighter hold.
- Turn on the heat or air conditioning
At In-Depth Restoration our technicians are trained and certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration and will work hard to help you get your home, business, and life back on track as much as possible and as quickly as possible. Not only do our experts take care of fire and smoke damage, we can also help with water and mold damage and can let you know if the damage is extensive enough to require emergency board up services.
We respond quickly to damage losses and work efficiently to restore as much as possible. With our specialized cleaning methods, we are often able to restore more of a home or business than many believe is possible. We also bill the insurance company directly to help make the transition a easier.
NEED FAST RESPONSE?